In the News
Numerous articles have been published about our work and the birds of Kaua‘i. Check out the links below to read the full articles!
- Staff member Barbara Heindl has been featured in Wisconsin's Magazine for the Life Sciences.
- A recent article in Birdwatch Canada chronicles a 10-day tour taken last spring by Bird Studies Canada members to observe the spectacular birds of Hawaii and learn about the causes of their decline. A proportion of the proceeds from the trip were donated to KFBRP to support our conservation and research work. Mahalo!
- Midweek Kaua‘i interviewed KFBRP's crew leader Barbara Heindl about our expanded Puaiohi nest box project.
- The latest Puaiohi release was celebrated at Koke'e State Park with the help of Ka'Imi Na'Auao 'O Hawai'i Nei. Thanks to everyone who helped make the blessing a success!
- The San Diego Zoo's Notes From the Field for March 2012 is all about the 14th Puaiohi release. Be sure to read the mele lyrics, written specifically for the release!
- Alex Wang, from KFBRP, and Oscar Johnson, from KESRP, wrote an article about Kaua'i's birds for Winging It, the official newsletter of the American Birding Association.
- Our latest grant to examine the effects of weed removal on forest birds comes from the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund! Read more about the project in an article in Midweek Kauai.
- Endangered Hawaiian Songbird Hatched in Artificial Nest Box Raises Hope for Species’ Survival - ABC News Release 9/6/11
- The New York Times Travel section carried an article about rare birds on Kaua‘i, with tips on where to find them on the island provided by staff member Lucas Behnke.
- Coverage by local newspaper, the Garden Island, of the lawsuit that spurred listing of 48 endangered species, including the ‘Akikiki and 'Akeke'e.
- The Garden Island published an article about our 10th release of captive-bred Puaiohi into the Alaka‘i, while SignOn San Diego released a similar article.
- A release of captive-bred Puaiohi made the Honolulu Star Bulletin. This same release was covered in KPUA Hawaii News.
- ‘Akikiki and ‘Akeke‘e declines made the news on Sustainability in Hawai‘i (SusHI).
- The American Bird Conservancy (ABC) wrote an article describing concern over ‘Akikiki and ‘Akeke‘e.
- Interview with Lucas and Cali on Children's Earth Count on KKCR in Spring 2011
Videos and Films
- The American Bird Conservancy produced a film in 2012 about the plight of Hawaii's birds, Endangered Hawai‘i, which features many of our colleagues and the species we are striving to conserve. It is an awesome and informative film!
- Photojournalist Tim McRoberts talks about the Puaiohi and KFBRP.